Friday, September 3, 2010

Who loves you, baby?

Hello! Welcome again to A Good Bible Study - let's pray and get into the Word.

Dear heavenly Father, help us to set aside our busy plans for just  few moments and spend time with You. Help us to remember that when we give ourselves this time, our whole day goes better, our moods are more stable and peaceful, and our family is able to see us at our best. In the name of Jesus, amen.

Way back in the first chapter of The Love Revolution Devotional Workbook and Field Journal, by Joyce Meyer, we looked at Matthew 22:37-39. Let's re-read that passage now.

There are two parts of Jesus' instructions. The first has to do with much of what we have focused on in this study: actively loving God (and as a result, His people.) The other is equally important: loving your neighbor as yourself.

Was that more than yourself? Was that instead of yourself? No. It was as yourself, the same as yourself, like you do yourself.

If you don't love yourself, care for yourself, protect yourself, how are you supposed to do it properly for anyone else?

Joyce Meyer says it this way, "You have to spend time loving yourself. That doesn't mean being in love with yourself; it means to respect yourself enough to take care of yourself."

In our society, we are told we need to work (at home, in business, at a job, to help others) in order to be valuable. God says you are of value, and that is why you need to have balance between work and rest. The standard God set is 6 days of work, and 1 day of rest.

How can you plan your week so that you are taking the 7th day for your rest and recuperation?
_______________________________________
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

I take care of my family Sunday through Friday, and while I don't ignore them on Saturday, that's the day I am "off-duty." We all eat cereal or sandwiches or whatever we want that day, and no one is allowed to ask me to take them to a friend's, go to the grocery store, help with a project, or do a load of laundry, because it's my day off, period.

Sometimes I snuggle with the kids and watch family movies all day long. Other times I read, or sit outside and brush my dogs or watch the kids play tag. I do whatever I don't have time for the rest of the week and wish I did.

I encourage you to find a way to re-fill your tank on the 7th day. You will find you are more productive the other 6 days, too. Taking care of yourself also means you have the energy and the desire to give to others. Respecting yourself enables you to know when to say "yes," and when to say "maybe, later."

Try it this week and let me know how it goes. It might be difficult at first. When I implemented Mom's Day Off about two years ago, I had to shut off my phone ringer to stop my husband and friends from calling on that day to ask me for favors or to join them for activities. At first everyone thought it was a little weird.

But, you know what? I didn't care. I was tired. I was run down from always giving and doing for others and never giving or doing for myself. I have more balance now, and it started with loving and respecting myself . . . as I do others.

Lord, thank you for giving us a day off. Thank you for always going first and showing us the way. Help us to be good to ourselves, because You love us and we are valuable. I thank you in the name of Jesus, amen.

Love, Karen

Photo by Pavel Losevsy, courtesy of Photoxpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.