Monday, August 2, 2010

The price of love

Welcome to the Good Bible Study!

We pray that God will bless us with minds open to His wisdom. Lord, we all desire love. Some of us are so lonely today and wondering when You will bring love into our lives. Prepare our hearts for what is needed to receive, and give, love. In Jesus' name, amen.

When we watch television and movies, what is the message we receive about love? It seems to me that the media portrays love as only true and valid when it is easy, when it is reciprocated equally, and when it requires nothing from us. "Love is immediate, love is always passionate, love is easy and has no faults, love always affirms me, always makes me happy and pleased, love is until I grow bored, tired, or am asked to give, grow, forgive or sacrifice." Is that what love is?

What does the bible tell us about love?

Read 1 John 4:7-8. From whom comes love? __________

Read Matthew 22:36-40 What is the greatest and second greatest commandments?
To _______ God, with all your ________, _________ and _________
and then to ___________ others as _______________________.

Read John 13:34-35. How do others know we are followers of Jesus? _____________________

Read 1 John 4:20-21. Is love a feeling shown by words, or a commitment demonstrated by our actions?
____________________________________

Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. Based on this verse and the ones above, how important do you think having a loving attitude and being loving in the choices we make in dealing with others, is to God?
_______________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________

God describes for us very clearly His definition of love. Since love comes from God, and is our greatest commandment, it's obviously very important to understand what love looks like in action - do you agree?

Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. Write below what you have learned love is:

If I love, I need to make a decision to be _________ and kind with God's timing, with myself and my own failings, and with others. I do not need to be __________ of what others have, or to ___________ about my own blessings and successes. I will be happy when good things happen to others, we all need some joy in our lives! There is no need to make anyone else feel inferior, or puff myself up to feel O.K. I am God's precious child no matter what my circumstances!

I don't need to be ____________ about my gifts or _______ to others who are not living up to my expectations. I don't have to have my ______ way all the time. Being __________ and grumpy all the time is just immaturity making itself known. Instead of being _________ when others let me down, I can remember that I have my bad days, too.

When others get caught in wrongdoing, I am not going to ________ in their shame, instead I am going to be thankful for the ___________ coming out, so others can make a new choice. If I have committed to love others, that means I will have to ________ a lot of emotionally painful or uncomfortable interactions and situations along the way, but I can also believe the best of my future, hope for the most from others, and endure anything necessary to act in the most loving manner at all times.

Loving is not easy. Loving is a sacrifice. In fact, most of the time being loving is next to impossible! Thankfully, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! Philippians 4:13.

Father, we ask you to strengthen us with Love. Let love come to our mind when we are faced with unlovable people. Let us serve You with love, when we feel those around us don't deserve it! Let us remember that You love us first, when we were unlovable. 1 John 4:19 In Jesus' name, amen

Love, Karen

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (5) or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (6) it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (7) Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
English Standard Version

Photo by Marzanna Syncerz, courtesy of Photoxpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.