Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Getting excited about giving!

Welcome to A Good Bible Study! Let's pray and get right into the Word:

Father, thank you for family, for husbands and wives, children, sisters and brothers, parents, aunties and uncles. Thank you for anyone in our lives who has treated us like a member of their family. I am so grateful that when even our natural family disappoints, we have our spiritual family and you are our Father! What a joy to know that you always accept, always love, always seek our best, always are honest, dependable, and true. Lord, let us be to someone else today, what you are to me every day. We ask you to open our hearts Lord, and let us be blessed by your Word. In Jesus' name, amen.

Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-5. In this passage, Paul describes the church in Macedonia, which was in great poverty at the time. The members of the church were poor and suffering a great trial of affliction (what in particular is not known) and yet they were such a joy-filled community! Paul was amazed at their excitement to give to his mission. Paul says they were insistent that they be allowed to give, even though Paul did not want them to feel obligated because of their desperate situation. Paul says they put themselves "at the disposal of Paul, to be directed by God, giving not only financially, but with their time and expertise as well. Paul was amazed at the depth of their love for God.

Have you ever felt an overwhelming joy and insistent desire to give to a cause, despite being in a difficult situation yourself?
____________

If so, what made you feel so blessed by giving to others?
_________________________________________________
_________________________________________________

Joyce Meyer asks an important question in this section of The Revolution Devotional Workbook and Field Journal: Can you be saved, but never really give yourself to Jesus?
______________________________________________
______________________________________________
_____________________________________________

What have you held back from Him? ________________
____________________________________________
____________________________________________

If Christians were truly giving ourselves to Jesus, what
would our lives and world look like?
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

That's a lot to think about, so I will leave you to do that. Let's pray:

Lord, thank you for each seeking heart that is spending time studying Your Word with me today. We give ourselves to you, Lord, and we want every bit of joy that you have to offer! I'm sorry for the parts of my life that I have held back from you. I ask you to fill me with desire to love you and give you my whole life. I ask you to show me anything I have kept back, and any parts of my heart that I have not allowed you to heal and to love, today. In Jesus' name, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.